Monday, October 13, 2014

Welcome to the Sewcial Club

And sew.......here's my anti wrapalong! 

This first post may well make those lovely ladies at the curvy sewing collective weep. 

I'm not much of a joiner inner - but then i'm really not much of a dressmaker either, however, i was drawn by the prospect of making a wrap dress, doing it while there was good advice going free seemed like a no brainer. 

So, i pondered patterns, then picked one no-one else had chosen (note to self: this should have been a clue!), I already have fabric, a nice charcoal jersey measuring 3.5 on my stretchability scale, out of 5 just in case you're wondering. I was in business....... .......until the pattern arrived! it's lovely. 


There are beautifully photographed examples of the designer wearing several dresses to illustrate the various options, from ethereal beauty to modern funky. Sadly, she isn't as 'ample' as i am so it's not really surprising that it was never going to fit me, even the biggest size fell multiple inches short! 

Now, if reading all those fabulous blogs has taught me anything it's that patterns can be graded up and down, so all is not lost! However, I completely ignored all the tutorials - I used my trusty Moneta pattern, some paper table cloths (cheap, big and quite strong) and a marker pen! The result is what you see here.....


......if it comes anything close to being wearable I'll be astonished, it may just be the new wrapover dressing gown that I always wanted, it may of course go to live in the bin. Undeterred, for now anyway, the next step will be cutting the fabric.

Please come back for part 2 of my anti-wrapalong. In the meantime i shall leave you with another photograph that you can laugh at! Don't be shy.....you know you want to!




BTW, I don't know how to fix the neckline on the unfinished dress on my body double either!

More soon xx

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your blog and really like your finished wrap dress--Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it's much appreciated x